Saturday, October 3, 2009

RIP Brittany P.

i hate the EM school district. sometimes its for trivial things, stupid things that dont really matter, but really, this?!

Brittany killed herself. end of story. you CAN’T cover that up and you can’t lie to us. you have no right to dishonor her like that. you have no right to choose for us what knoweldge we can and can’t have, and who we can and can’t have a memorial for. i didn’t know this girl, but i feel like this is part of what she was running away from, even if it was subconcious. that fact that they don’t want us speaking and remembering a beautiful, friendly girl makes me wonder what they do what us to remember…

if she had died as a result of a drunk driver, she would have a memorial. would that be glorifying drunk driving? if she had died from cancer, she would have a memorial… would that be glorifying cancer? if she had been killed in a murder, there would be a memorial… that wouldn’t be glorifying murder. and lastly, if she had been a victim of the columbine high school shootings, she would have had a memorial, and it wouldn’t have been glorifying school shoots. why should that fact that she wanted some control over her life make her a horrible person, someone who doesn’t deserve to be remember, who’s death should only be talked about in whispers?

everyone could learn so much from this. other kids who share in brittney’s disease (and it IS a disease) would learn that people DO care, and that a whole SCHOOL would come together, maybe a whole NEIGHBORHOOD, to see that it will not happen again, no matter who you are.

but no, they keep us seperated. because, to them, this is an inhonarble way to die. who are you to make that dicision for us? if students dont want to come, they dont have to. if parents want to take their children out of school for that, they can. a memorial, ANYTHING, would in no way have to effect everyone, but in this way, by ignoring it, you’re sending the worst possible message…

you’re telling everyone who just wants some help that asking for it is the wrong thing to do, and that if you try to fix what you think is wrong, and do it the only way you believe possible, you’re doing something wrong. im not glorifying suicide. it should never be an option, there should never be the choice of “to die or to live” but by dishonoring her choice, you’re dishonoring her, everyone who knew her, everyone who feels as she does.

you’re dishonoring everyone.

*on a side note, i wish i could send this to an administrator and have it be listening to.*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entry about is written by a friend's friend. I, myself, did not know Brittany. However, my sister did. Her friends did. Some of my friends did. Even though I didn't know her, I know she was a good person. She was kind to many people and from what I know, she was filled with, what seemed it like, joy. My sister tells me she didn't know her as well as she would have liked to. However, my sister looks up to her and she isn't "glorifying" suicide, as the school district put it. No one should ever be glorifying death. They should be glorifying the person. Remember who they were and what they did to or for you.

I don't know who reads this or who will read this. However, if you want to write something, go ahead.

In addition, since Brittany's death isn't being memorialized in my school district, her family has requested that people donate (by purchasing shirts, bracelets, dog tags, pins, etc.) to the To Write Love on Her Arms foundation. For more information on the foundation, visit their website at www.twloha.com. To anyone out there, this entry is not about wrongdoings. This isn't about school districts. This isn't about many things really. This is about Brittany. May she rest in peace.

I don't really know you, but you made a difference in the minds and hearts of people I know, care, and love. I know you were an amazing person. My sister looks up to you. I know she knew you better. I wish I was fortunate to know you at all. I hope one day I will be up meet you in the heavens above. Know that you are loved. Always and forever. Rest in Peace Brittany Marie Petrocca [May 12, 1995 to October 1, 2009].

No comments: